The 2023 National Sporting Clays Championship will feature the Qualified Super Squad Rotation Format, with all Qualified Super Squad shooters being assigned to the same rotation and same course. All will shoot the main event Starting at 8 a.m. on Thursday, October 26 and ending with the 3:30 rotation on Sunday, October 29. Strict criteria for qualification is followed for selection to the rotation.
Criteria for the Qualified Super Squad Course Rotation (both Men and Ladies):
- Top 5 shooters and 5th place ties from each of the prior year Regional Championships Main Events, Open and Lady
- Top 5 shooters and 5th place ties from the past five (5) NSCA U.S. Open Main Events, Open and Lady
- Top 15 shooters and 15th place ties from prior two (2) National Championship Main Events, Open and Lady
- All-American Open and Lady First Team from prior year’s points race
- World English Sporting Clays and World FITASC Champions from the past five (5) years, Open and Lady
- National Sporting Clays Champions from the past 10 years, Open and Lady
- 2023 NSCA U.S. Open, World English Sporting Clays, World FITASC, and Regional Championships, Open and Lady Champion, Runner-up, and Third
The list of names is to be published no later than the week after the 2023 All-American Team is announced.
Goals of the Qualified Super Squad Rotation:
- Fairness with weather/wind conditions
- Self-policing of scoring, enhanced integrity
- Increased excitement, audience enjoyment, marketing opportunities, video/streaming opportunities
- Staying within a maximum rotation squad of 80 shooters, which is easily attainable
- Number of shooters based solely on the criteria
- Participants who do not qualify to be members of the Super Squad Rotation are still eligible to win the Main Event, regardless of their rotation.
- To be eligible for awards, punches, points, and money in class or concurrent, those who qualified for the Super Squad Rotation must shoot this rotation. If he or she chooses not to, their score will not be listed, and they will not receive any recognition, awards, or money.
- Super Squads will be made up of three (3) random-draw shooters per squad. Men will be squadded together, and ladies will be squadded together.
- The remaining spot on each squad will be auctioned off with proceeds being split between an increased prize purse and the USA Sporting Clays Teams.
- On the last day of the National Championship, all Super Squad shooters will be re-squadded from lowest to highest, and the top 16 shooters from the Super Squads will be re-squadded into four four-person Super Squads.
- The shooters who won the auction spots on all squads will also be randomly re-squadded with new squads for the final day.