In observance of the recently passed California Assembly Bill #2571, NSSA-NSCA must cease all advertising and marketing activities directed at individuals 17 years and younger in California. This includes ceasing to distribute Clay Target Nation magazine, Target Talk/Target Talk Lessons newsletters, CTN Extra newsletter, event promotions, and other association communications to affected members. We have purged all mailing and email lists of affected members for magazines, newsletters, and other communications. Processes are now in place to maintain compliance as affected member numbers change.
In addition to ceasing all advertising, marketing, and other communications with affected members, we have taken the following actions to ensure compliance with AB #2571 and mitigate risk to our association, our clubs, partners and affiliates:
- Requesting that member clubs immediately cease promotions to affected NSSA-NSCA members, as well as evaluating their communications and event/product promotions to ensure they are in compliance
- Notifying our advertisers, sponsors, and industry partners of NSSA-NSCA’s actions being taken in response to AB #2571
- Notifying MySkeet, Score Chaser, Winscore, other third-party registration and scoring platforms, and other vendors who communicate with NSSA-NSCA members, that they must refrain from marketing events to affected NSSA and NSCA members
- Adding exclusionary language to digital and print publications, newsletter sign-up forms, and media kits
- Instructing staff on maintaining compliance with this law
- Notifying NSSA-NSCA Chief Instructors of AB #2571 and requesting that they refrain from contacting and marketing to affected members.
- Notifying NSSA-NSCA governing bodies of the law and the actions being taken
You can learn more about California AB #2571 at https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB2571.
Any questions relative to NSSA-NSCA’s actions in response to AB #2571 should be directed to NSSA-NSCA Executive Director Michael Hampton, email@example.com.